Friday, 30 September 2011

29th September - from Douglas Daly, to who knows where?

There are two things to explain before I start. Firstly, I didn’t post yesterday because my laptop was out of battery, we didn't have a powered site in Litchfield, we were driving all day yesterday, we didn't have a powered site in Daly Waters, and I couldn't find my charger (which, when all's said and done, is reason enough by itself. :) ) And secondly, I named this post strangely because we've just been in Katherine for 2 hours, it is now 3:27 pm, and we honestly have no idea where we're going tonight… :) Which is fun over here, but isn't that informative for all you guys over there. ;P
Anyway, I have to tell you the funniest thing that happened last night (which was in Douglas Daly Tourist Park):
Joe was on washup duty, and I was on Keeping Joseph Company and Watching Joe's Laptop While It Charges In The Bathroom Because We Don't Have A Powered Site To Charge It Ourselves duty. :)
I was reading my Agatha Christie book ('Lord Edgware Dies', for those of you who are sticklers for details), so I didn't notice Joe's run for the loo. I only looked up when he walked toward me practically cracking up laughing. Then he told me all about his trip to the loo. He went into the first cubicle, lifted the lid, and… saw a big green frog in the loo!!!
He decided his best bet would be to flush it down the S-bend (as you do), but after the waves died down, back crawled the frog! Joseph figured he'd reward that persistence and leave it in peace, so off he goes to the next cubicle.
Would you believe it!?! In the next cubicle (although not in the loo), were TWO HUGE CANE TOADS!!! WHOPPERS!
I think it was then that Joseph decided maybe it wouldn't be so bad to brave the green tree frog, so back he goes to the first loo (there were only two loos for miles around). As he was glaring into the bowl at this bad froggie, he figures he'd rather brave the cane toads than squat on that frog-infested loo and expose his backside to who knows what!?! So back he goes to the second loo, and spends a few seconds glaring at those two fat cane toads, the cause of all his strife (well, most of it, anyway). Then he waves his arms, kick his legs, screams 'hai-yee!!!!!' and somehow scares those toads enough to high-tail it out of there.
With a huge sigh of relief, he sank onto the Seat of Grace. But his troubles were not yet over…
As he was finishing his toilet, a mozzie decided he'd be good pickings (no idea why - everyone knows there's not a skinnier body around), zoned in on his meatiest (and most exposed) section - his backside - and chomped down - hard.
Well, after that experience, I don't think Jo was really keen to go back… Whatever the case, it cracked me up.

There're a few hilarious signs around here, like 'WE LIKE OUR LIZARDS FRILLED, NOT GRILLED' or, a few hundred kilometers out of Mt Isa, 'MACDONALDS MT ISA - 465km. WORTH THE WAIT'. (that really cracked us up). But I think the funniest ever was the one we saw today, complete with a huge red splat:
 'NO BELT, NO BRAINS'.

2 comments:

  1. Have to keep eating Jo so that you have a bit more meat to offer to the carnivores around the place!!!
    Very funny story KT!

    ReplyDelete