Tuesday, 13 September 2011

Day 4 - In Mt Isa

So, we're where Nanny and Pa spent 7 or 8 years! They hardly recognise a thing. They said when they lived here, NOTHING was green, in September (which is now), it was 35 degrees, and it was so hot, you had trouble breathing.
Well, now it's COMPLETELY different! Everyone has sprinklers everywhere, the whole place is as green as an unripe mango, and instead of 35 degrees, it's 25 degrees, a nice change to the almost (but not quite) sub zero temps we've had since the start of our trip!
Dad got a query as to the seating arrangements in our puny little car... :)
Well, except for yesterday, everyone's sat the same place: The three oldest boys in the back, Dini, Cooper and I in the middle, with Dini in the very middle, Dad driving (awesome), and mum playing cook/waitress, janitor, DJ, navigator, and all the million and one other things required of the person in the passenger seat!
Yesterday, dad migrated to the backseat (which he calls the party seat!), mum started driving (very well, I might add), joseph became first mate in place of mum (much to his excitement, at least until he realised all the responsibilities tied to the seat of honour!!!), and Dini and I swapped seats, so I was now in the very centre of the car. I think that particular swap we realised to be for the better.
Dad's called our little wireless network BRT. Don't even ask. :)
Today is a rest day for us (phew!). After spending 8-10 hours in the car with seven other people three days straight (and some - namely dad - haven't even changed clothes for that amount of time!), this really is a relief!
Mum as looking on the map yesterday, and guess what she saw!!! Farmhouses are marked on our camping refedex as little black squares, and one of the little black squares in the area is called our family's surname!!! Pity it's too far away to reach. :(
I've changed all the settings in my browser so NO pictures show up until I click on them. Dad was impressed with my download saving abilities. :) Oh, and dad and mum got a new camera, so I get to use theirs. And it's pretty good! :)
We couldn't believe yesterday how the landscape changed from Longreach to Mt Isa - it went from dry, brown, dead flat, scrubby plains, to very hilly, green, landscape - with trees!

1 comment:

  1. The change in landscape is due to the change in geology. The flat landscape is under the sediments of the great artesian basin (shown yellow on a map on the above page) while the hilly landscapes are older rocks (shown green).

    ReplyDelete