It was ice cold this morning - 0°C! We talked to some people who were staying in a tent, and they said they had ice on the inside, so it got below freezing in the night. It was so cold that Dom warmed his hands in his breakfast milk, and mum warmed her hands in the fridge (I'm not even joking - Dom did actually have his fingers in the milk, and it was colder outside than in the fridge!).
We left at 8:30 this morning, and it's now 9:15, and So far today we've seen two live emus, a circling hawk, one live wallaby, about twenty dead kangaroos, and hundreds of feasting crows. Pa said he's never seen so much roadkill. We just saw a kangaroo, and dad said we should call it Potential Roadkill.
Dom is out official spotter - we'll be driving along and he'll yell 'ROADKILL!' He says he can see it from a mile away, because of the red spots covered in birds. Cooper's now picked up a new word - woad kill! He says it every two or three seconds. It's going to drive us insane before long… I don't think he even knows what it is. :) We tried telling him it's actually roadkill, but all he did was change to wot-kill…
He's actually started speaking a lot. Last night he was climbing walls, shouting the place down, and it was 9:00 in the evening! That's when we began to regret letting him sleep in the car..
We passed an emu farm yesterday - there were masses of emus everywhere.
I've been getting rather serious backside-cramps. I'm hurting down there in places I never thought possible. 8 hours in a car really does it to you…
It's pretty exciting - we're going places I've never been before! Soon we'll be in Northern Territory - more like Unknown Territory for me! We've just stopped at a BP on the Warrego Highway in Morvan, and there's three emus plodding around! Very impressive. But the place stinks - bad - from all the cattle trucks around. It's rather sad - all these cute cows with their own personalities are going to be killed. :(
We've started moving into red-dirt territory… I've heard that red dirt equals red caravan… !!!
...
I would be writing in my journal right now, except the road is as bumpy as a ginormous rocky road. We just stopped for what seemed like hours waiting to go through roadworks for the second time in as many days. (Why do I always seem to write in roadworks???)
Mum counted how many roadkill we passed in half an hour. I think she counted over thirty! (I am talking a lot about roadkill, but then, there's a lot around here!)
It's all starting to look pretty 'Aussie', which is something that I don't think I've seen before now!! For example, there's red dirt, one long, lonely road, low bush and brown scrub, wide, wide blue sky, dust exploding from every car's rear end, and the horizon looking like jelly as he heat rises off the road. It's a novel experience!!
In fact, the whole thing looks rather like what my blog background looks like! Before I picked that pic, I had a smooth, blue sea (I tried to find something Aussie), but I'm glad I picked that one! Much more suitable. :)
Aaarrggh!!! We've reached another roadworks!!!!! Dad's learnt now that he's better off turning off the whole engine, we always wait so long.
We also can't believe how many road trains there are on this road. We've passed so many! One even had four carriages, though most have about three.
Last night we were making up and telling each other really, really (and I mean really!) lame jokes, like when do you have a BBQ? (Friday) and when did dad have a baby? (Sunday), and when do you put something on your feet? (Tuesday (shoes-day), and when do you get married? (Wednesday) and when do you make lemonade? (Thursday) (I think that was the best, made up by mum (no surprise there)). I also mentioned the lamest of all lame jokes, courtesy of Uncle Tim -(also no surprise there) When you're at the pool, you're at the stadium - your at sunk-orb! (Suncorp). Gotta admit, that tops the lot! The worst of the worst!
Oh, and to put us all at ease, mum just mentioned that at this time of year, there might be snakes. Wish us luck!!! (Aaarghhh!)
If you want to keep track of who is visiting your blog you can do it using statcounter. You set up a project and it then gives you some code to put on your site. You can put it in your footer, for example, because the footer is shown on every page.
ReplyDelete