Tuesday, 22 November 2011

The Joys of Study

Really, who invented studying? I mean really, when I go out into the real world am I really interested in knowing what Boyle had to say about the effect of pressure on a gas, or that in a gas there are no attractive forces?
And - here comes the worst bit - why on earth would I want to know about some dumb dude called Macbeth who thought he was smart enough to outwit the witches and the prophecies? And why would I want to know how to argue the fact that Macbeth was a guy? I mean really!

Then there's the entire 3000 word long experiment on the best way to boil water... seriously, do I care? Well, I kinda do, since I get marked on it, but otherwise, probably not!

Sure, sometimes I wonder about the answers to these things, but is it really worth 8 weeks of my time?

Some people seem to think so, and I suppose, in twenty years I'll be telling my kids the same things my parents are telling me - that it's all for the good, that I'm learning 'life skills', and that it's the law that I elarn it, no matter what I think.

But I've got twenty years before I have to agree!

2 comments:

  1. Just a mental challenge.

    Life is very quiet here at Fawkner Street. Katie, now you have flown to other side of the country. Saw a map of Australia the other day and imagined you all over there near Perth. A long ways to come home from there.

    Christmas will be very quiet without the W's fam to visit.

    ReplyDelete